The North Beach Malt House is a historical landmark building located in on the north side of North Beach and near Fisherman’s Wharf. The building was built as a malting factory and brewery operated as such for approximately 40 years before it was nearly destroyed in the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. The Malt House was owned at the time by George W. Bauer, of Bauer & Schweitzer, who rebuilt the building using concrete and steel girders. Bauer & Schweitzer continued to supply malt to Bay Area breweries (including Anchor Brewing Company) into the 1960s. During the time between it being an operational malt house and being converted into condominiums, the building fell into disarray. It was used as a filming site for several movies and TV shows, including Don Johnson’s Nash Bridges. MBH Architects incorporated many aspects of the original building into the design of the condominiums in the mid-1990s, including the concrete and steel girders. You will even see the two-story grain silos as part of the courtyard in the center of the complex. The complex opened in 2001 and is conveniently located walking distance to Safeway, Trader Joe’s, Fisherman’s Wharf, Cable Car, all of the shops and restaurants in North Beach, and the Embarcadero.